Facelift surgery is a cosmetic procedure commonly used to tighten and smooth out facial skin, making the patient look more youthful, radiant and relaxed.
What is it?
• A facelift is a surgical procedure to tighten and smooth facial skin, giving a more youthful, rested look
• It can lift a heavy brow or forehead and smooth the skin around the eyes, cheeks, nose, mouth, chin and neck
What can’t it do?
• A facelift can’t repair sun-damaged skin, eliminate deep wrinkles, or remove bags under the eyes
• See our procedure for facial peeling, dermal fillers and eyelid surgery for correcting these
• See our information on chemical peels, dermal fillers, wrinkle treatments and browlifting for correcting these
What is involved?
• Your surgeon will make an incision following your hairline from your temple down to your ear and around your earlobe on both sides
• Excess fat from around your upper face is removed and your facial muscles tightened
• Your skin is then pulled up across your face, trimmed and sewn
• Metal clips may also be used to prevent your skin from sagging
• The scar will mostly be hidden in your hairline and around the back of your ears to minimize the visible scarring
• It is likely that you’ll have lower eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) at the same time to remove the excess skin that develops when the cheek fat pads are lifted
• Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) is often performed at the same time as a facelift to achieve an all over refreshed look
• The whole operation can take up to four hours to complete and is performed under a general anaesthetic
• You will probably stay in hospital overnight
• Bandages will be applied around your head after the procedure, which you will need to keep in place for up to five days
• Recovery time is dependent upon the extent of your surgery
• On average, you will be able to resume normal activities within three to six weeks
Possible side effects
Side effects from facelift surgery are usually temporary and can include:
• Nausea from the general anaesthetic bruising and swelling of the face tight or soreskin for several days
• Mild pain easily alleviated with pain killers
• On average you can expect to look around seven to ten years younger when you have fully recovered from your facelift
• The benefits will last around eight to ten years although this will depend on the elasticity of your skin and your lifestyle
• Factors including diet, body weight and exposure to sunlight will affect your overall results and of course your skin will continue to age in the normal way